Mercury Colleges prides itself on attracting the very best teachers available in Sydney. A high quality team not only provides the best service to our students, but generates College growth through word of mouth. Graduating students regularly report that their Mercury teacher was the best teacher in their life, or at least one of the best.
To be a Mercury teacher, you need to not only have the basic training, qualifications and training, but the following personal qualities:
- clear speech and native English (or so close that it does not matter)
- a passion for teaching
- enthusiastic engagement with the students and other staff
- the ability to explain concepts patiently and well
- the ability to deliver interesting and varied lessons
- a caring nature; nurturing students facing the exigencies of life in a foreign culture
- a good sense of humour
- professional in attitude and paperwork
- the right to work in Australia.
English Language Teachers need to have the following qualifications:
- a degree, and
- a TESOL certificate such as CELTA
Teaching experience is not as important as the essential personal qualities we seek. Such qualities can not be adopted or learnt. Teaching techniques, of course, can. These are discussed in regular professional development sessions. ELICOS staff meetings are held every week.
VET Business Teachers need to have the following qualifications:
- the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment (TAE40110)
- the relevant vocational qualifications such as the Advanced Diploma of Management, the Diploma of Management, Certificate IV or III in Business
- relevant experience in the business world - preferably current and ongoing but at least within the last two years
- a matrix in Excel connecting the Mercury units of competency with your experience and qualifications (this can be explained if necessary)
- your own professional development in hand.
Those who fail to match the criteria can not expect to receive a reply from our busy office.